NEW YORK — Greetings once again from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, where the sixth-seeded UMass men’s basketball team is set to take on second-seeded Virginia Commonwealth this afternoon in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
- Barclays Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- 4 p.m. EST
- All-time series: VCU leads 1-0
- Pregame reads: UMass advances to A-10 semis with thrilling win over Temple / Minutemen shut down Temple star Khalif Wyatt / UMass survives GW in first round with clutch plays / Minutemen beat GW in spite of deficiencies
- Live stats: GameTracker / TV: CBS Sports Network / Radio: WEEI 105.5 FM … WMUA 91.1
- Twitter: @MDC_Sports / @Stephen_Sellner / @steve_hewitt
- To put it bluntly, the first time these two teams met back on Valentine’s Day wasn’t exactly ideal for UMass. After the Minutemen took a five-point lead into halftime, VCU turned up its “Havoc” defense to a ridiculous level and opened the half on a 21-1 run en route to an 86-68 blowout victory in Richmond, Va., and it wasn’t even really as close as the score indicated.
- For the Minutemen, it’ll be helpful to know exactly what to expect from the Rams, but how that translates on the court is a different story. They have much less time to prepare and are coming off zero rest after back-to-back wins over GW and Temple on Thursday and Friday, the latter of which an exhausting affair that will leave them fatigued as they tip just 17 hours after.
- VCU is coming off an 82-79 victory over 10th-seeded Saint Joseph’s on Friday night.
- The winner of this one will take on the winner of the other semifinal game between top-seeded Saint Louis and fifth-seeded Butler in tomorrow’s championship game.
- UMass: Chaz Williams | Freddie Riley | Terrell Vinson | Sampson Carter | Cady Lalanne
- VCU: Darius Theus | Rob Brandenburg | Troy Daniels | Treveon Graham | Juvonte Reddic