McMahon to coach Italian national team at 2017 World Cup

8690992126_8f2d9c6891_k

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Following the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team’s fourth straight Atlantic 10 championship with coach Angela McMahon at the helm,  the Italian Lacrosse Association named McMahon the head coach of the Italian national team for the 2017 Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Cup.

The 2017 squad, which will travel to Guildford, England, will be the first Italian team to compete in the international tournament.  In preparation for the World Cup, McMahon will be holding tryouts as she builds her inaugural team.  This process will begin on August 3 in Pennington, New Jersey where Italian-Americans will have the opportunity to showcase their skills.  Once a team is assembled over the next year, the Italian national team’s first competition will be in the European Championship in 2015.

McMahon will be working alongside her husband, Justin Serpone, who is the head coach for the men’s soccer team at Amherst College.  Serpone will be the co-head coach of the team.  McMahon said that she is “thrilled” to coach with her husband and that their joint goal as coaches will be to prove competitive in the World Cup and to promote the growth of lacrosse in Italy.

As McMahon prepares for the international stage, she will continue to lead the UMass women’s lacrosse team, where she has posted a 72-10 overall record in four seasons.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24

About these ads