Aside

The Massachusetts women’s rowing team embarked on the first of three days of competition at the NCAA Championships on Friday, as three separate boats competed in heats throughout the morning.

It’s the first appearance in the NCAA’s in 15 years for the Minutewomen and only the third-ever appearance in the Championships for the program. UMass is one of 22 teams competing and earned the spot as an automatic qualifier after winning an Atlantic 10 Conference title earlier this season.

The Varsity 8+ boat was the first to hit the water today for the Minutewomen in the fourth heat at 9:40 a.m. The boat finished fifth out of six boats with a time of 6:50:883. Brown University finished first in the heat with a time of 6:20:134. UMass’ boat consisted of Heather Pekarovich, Taryn Wilson, Emily Mann, Marika Kopp, Pippa Edwards, Candace Miller, Sam Kolovson, Lauren St. Pierre and Allanah Rubi-Mooney.

The second Varsity 8+ boat raced at 10:20 and also finished fifth of six boats with a time of 7:06:639. A crew from Virginia won that heat with a time of 6:32:021.

The Varsity 4+, which began at 11 a.m. and finished with a time of 7:51:479, also coming in fifth of six boats.

UPDATE:

The 8+ Repechage boat finished sixth in the event with a time of 7:20:862 .  The University of Southern California team came in first in the race with a time of 6:30:511.  The Minutewomen sent out the same eight girls that competed earlier in the Varsity 8+ event.

In the 4+ Repechage event, UMass finished in seventh with a time of 7:42:862.  Emily Hajjar, Rachel Boudrea, Gabrielle Hayward, Kyla Miller, and Samantha Wonderlin raced in the event for the Minutewomen.  Ohio State finished first with a time of 7:16:706.

Day two of the NCAA Championships continues on Saturday in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Saturday’s Schedule:

Varsity 8+ C/D Semifinals- 8:40 a.m.

Varsity 4+ C/D Semifinals- 10:00 a.m.

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli

UMass rowing completes first day of NCAA Championships

About these ads