Rob Blanchflower ruled out for UMass football in Friday’s season finale

Photo by Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

Photo by Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

The Massachusetts football team announced on Tuesday that senior captain and tight end Rob Blanchflower has been ruled out for Friday’s season finale at Ohio, marking the end of his career with the Minutemen.

“There isn’t a more competitive guy on our team than Rob. If he could be out there with the Minutemen and his fellow seniors, there’s no doubt in my mind that he would be leading the charge,” UMass coach Charley Molnar said in a news release. “Due to a series of unfortunate setbacks, we feel it is Rob’s best interest to allow him to rest and recover. I am confident that once his injury heals, he’ll shift his focus to the next phase of his football career, which will be preparing himself for the NFL draft.”

Blanchflower played in just six games for the Minutemen this season after battling an ongoing injury that forced him to miss the first three games of the season. He finished second on the team in receptions (27) and receiving yards (313) despite missing half the season.

Blanchflower finished his UMass career as the team’s all-time leader in receiving yards for a tight end at 1,164 yards. He also finished with 109 receptions and nine touchdowns in 38 career games.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.

About these ads