Nickel Coverage: Brandon Hill at Monmouth, Rob Blanchflower on top five tight end list

Photo by Maria Uminski/Collegian

Photo by Maria Uminski/Collegian

A look at what’s making headlines after the first week of college football preseason training camp.

On UMass:

On the MAC: 

On the NCAA:

• A new, football-only subdivision could be in the works, officially making college football a national super-power. As if it wasn’t obvious already.
  • The summer hasn’t been kind to Texas A&M quarterback and reigning Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, and the recent reports about him getting paid $7,500 for autographs won’t make life any easier with the season less than a month away. Considering how much the A&M has made off the Heisman and Johnny Football memorabilia, it might be time for the NCAA to reconsider the stranglehold it has on its players. They’re human too, you know.
  • There’s been plenty of heat taken by the NCAA as a result of the point above, especially on Twitter, so the NCAA fan shop will now no longer sell team merchandise. Probably the only good move they could make at this point.
  • If UMass wants a boost at wide receiver in a couple of years, it appears Arkansas sophomore receiver Mekale McKay is considering transferring from the SEC program. It’s probably a little far-fetched for UMass fans to consider, but I’m sure the 10 seconds of hope were fun while they lasted.
  • Defending Big 12 champions Kansas State is out to prove people wrong after feeling snubbed when they failed to make the Top 25 in the Coaches poll and were picked to finish sixth in the conference. That isn’t good news for UMass, which visits Bill Snyder Family Stadium Sept. 14.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.

About these ads