Jordan Broadnax’s experience makes him front-runner for starting running back job, but competition looms

Photo by Jeff Bernstein/For the Collegian

Go to dailycollegian.com on Tuesday for a full report on Jordan Broadnax and the entire running back competition, with full quotes from Broadnax, Charley Molnar, Stacey Bedell, Daquan Mack and Lorenzo Woodley. 

The Massachusetts football team made the running back position one of its greatest strengths with the addition of the 2013 recruiting class.

The Minutemen may have lost Michael Cox after his one-year stop in Amherst as a fifth-year transfer, but brought in a pair of promising freshmen to fill the void.

True freshmen Lorenzo Woodley and Daquan Mack join a running back corps that includes junior Jordan Broadnax, redshirt sophomore Jamal Wilson and redshirt freshman Stacey Bedell.

While there is plenty of talent to spread from all five backs, especially the freshmen, Broadnax’s experience makes him the front-runner for the starting job. 

Broadnax was mainly used as a pass-catcher last season as Cox’s backup, but he feels his prospects of being the No. 1 back this season are pretty high.

“I’m very comfortable with where I’m at,” Broadnax said. “Yes, I’ve got people coming closer and closer, but it’s my job to keep the distance far enough. I put the work in everyday. My work ethic is where I produce. I feel like that is my niche.”

UMass coach Charley Molnar agrees that Broadnax is his top option based on his experience, and said he had a strong practice Monday. But he’s hopeful that some younger players can step in and possibly even overtake Broadnax. Even the freshmen are fighting for a chance to start immediately.

“We have a lot of running backs with some new freshmen and we’re all competing against each other,” Bedell said. “The best man is gonna get the starting job”