Boyle, Tiefenwerth among those reportedly cut from UMass hockey

The winds of change appear to be blowing for the Massachusetts hockey team.

Multiple reports have surfaced that sophomore goaltender Kevin Boyle and freshman forward K.J. Tiefenwerth have been asked not to return to the Minutemen, and that more cuts may be on the horizon.

Fear The Triangle has also confirmed that Northeastern transfer Rob Dongara won’t be joining UMass next season after sitting out 2012-13 due to NCAA regulations.

Reports have indicated that other unnamed players may also be on their way out. There is also said to be the possibility that UMass coach John Micheletto is cleaning out some of former UMass coach Don “Toot” Cahoon’s recent recruiting classes to free up roster space and scholarship money to bring in his own players.

The Minutemen may very well be heading into 2013-14 with a new-look roster with the reported cuts along with the departure of defenseman Conor Allen for the NHL.

Boyle started 20 games for UMass last season, finishing with an 8-10-2 record with a 2.73 goals against average and .897 save percentage. The netminder played like one of the best in Hockey East early in the season, but struggled down the stretch, opening the door for fellow sophomore Steve Mastalerz to get a majority of the starts in the last couple months.

Tiefenwerth played 30 games for the Minutemen, but had limited success. The freshman finished with four goals and two assists with a minus-4 plus/minus rating.

About these ads

3 comments on “Boyle, Tiefenwerth among those reportedly cut from UMass hockey

1. Coach should go. How can he cut a potential star that he gave no playing time to? Kid was at two Islander rookie camps. Hope he goes to another hockey east team and embarrasses them.

2. Pingback: Report: Jeff Teglia no longer with UMass hockey | Daily Collegian Sports

3. Pingback: Former UMass goalie Boyle commits to UMass Lowell | Daily Collegian Sports